Budget Food Meals Ideas in Your Hostel
Yes, when living or Backpacking on a tight budget you have to give priority to certain things at the expense of others, but a healthy diet should not be one of them!
It becomes a little harder when travelling in the more expensive corners of the globe such as Australia and New Zealand.. or so you would think! In actual fact, it’s pretty easy to conjure up a nutritious, simple and yet affordable meal just as long as you’re willing to put some time and effort into making conscious choices.
Budget Food Backpacking: Below is an example of a cheap and healthy breakfast, to start your days on a healthy note!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 Eggs
- Milk (alternatively Soy / Almond Milk)
- Fruits ( Eg Banana, apple or grapes in the summer) and nuts (depending on your own personal preferences and seasonal availability)
- Cinnamon or mixed spice
- Place your eggs in a saucepan and leave to soft or hard boil. For soft boiled eggs leave the eggs in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Leave for a further 4-5 minutes for hard-boiled eggs, depending on the size of eggs.
- In a separate pan add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Add the rolled oats, reduce heat, and cook for a few minutes, depending on your preferred consistency.
- Chop up fruits and place into a bowl. Mix in the nuts and spices.
- Pour hot porridge over the fruit and nut mix and let it set for a few minutes
- Pour milk and honey over the mixture and mix everything together.
- Keep your boiled eggs to the side, to be eaten before or after your porridge.
This meal will give you a head start to your day by providing your body with dietary fibre, carbohydrates, protein, calcium and iron amongst others!
and the best part is… it would cost approximately $2.50 AUD… and on top of that, you can reheat oats without losing any nutritional value! How’s that for a delicious, nutritious and affordable breakfast?
More Travel Blogs Here
Sam’s Travel recipe
Written By Annika Gollcher