Ukraine has warm, dry summers and fairly severe winters. January is the coldest month with daytime temperatures usually around 0°C, but these temperatures can dip well below zero to around -20°C or lower.
The winter months also produce cold northeasterly winds, called bora. Heavy snowfall or snowstorms can be commonplace.
With that being said, the winter time does usher in some rays of sun (Ukraine is said to have close to 300 days of sun during the year).
The Odessa region spans across the southern coast producing ideal conditions. The soft, sea air mixes comfortably with the dry climate of the steppe further inland.
Ukraine Climate-Clothing Packing Rule!
Clothes should be practical, comfortable, durable and easy-to-care-for. Clothes will most likely go through a great deal of use, but this of course depends on the length of your trip and type of activities.
You also won’t have the luxury of the normal washing care for your clothes, that is why it might be a good idea to leave some of your less durable, delicate apparel at home. In winter months consider the following:
- Warm, waterproof, fleece-lined boots. Should be big enough to wear with heavy wool socks
- Warm, lined slippers with soles
- Warm hat and scarves
- Lined, waterproof gloves and lightweight wool gloves
- Long thermal underwear and heavy, wool thermal socks
Ukraine Climate-Clothing Packing Rule globally!
The Diamond Rule for packing your bags as a smart traveller: Keep half of the clothes of what you are planning to bring with you on holiday behind and deposit twice the money! True or not??
- Make sure you always bring one jacket with you and keep the most essential items with you in a carry on because We know from experience that lost luggage news could come any time and it would be a pain.
when it’s 3 degrees in England or freezing in Iceland, jacket comes in handy – or the other way around in Asia or in the Middle East in the heating summer. You won’t be really pleased with this unpleasant smell from your armpits just after long flight.
- Mix and match clothes. Pack three tops and three bottoms all making up 6 different outfits and, indeed, the as light as possible
Male: light T- shirts and 1 Winter/regular jacket (it depends on the season and the weather of the country your travel to), 1 casual Shirt, 1 hiking pants and few light thin pieces of underwear & 1 Boxers ( the best Australian Brand would be Politix). There is also few other useful international brands such as Snowgum, kathmandu or thermal underwear from Icebreaker. ( It all depends on your choice as well as type of trip you’re on)
Be the smartest female traveller
Female: For most of the girls and women in the world, the bag packing process is one of the hardest ones in the world. There is only one general rule for all and that is to keep everything very simple and as thin as possible.
Females are able to buy the smallest underwear you could imagine , in unimaginable sizes (such as HIPSTER MICROFIBRE MINI GEE, HIPSTER BIKINI, Strappy Metallic Cheeky Panty,( all Cheeky Types), Cutout Cheeky Panty, Seamless Singles Cheeky Hipster or even any type of thong, g string and cstring) making life and light packing much easier.
Bras: Low – Strappy or any type of “ the lighters”
Adventure or hiking: Cutout Cheeky Panties and Strappy or any similar-type bras!
- Don’t be a diva opera. Are you the type of a traveller who has to travel with your own hair dryer? Forget about it. The best way during travelling is to use the one from the hotel, hostel or, if you really need to, buy the smallest one (travel-size). The best brand would be GHD Gold Mini Styler
- Books are sexy: We are living in the 21st century right now and all of us are heavily addicted to digital technologies. And So are vinyl records. But save yourself the extra pounds and simply fill your Kindle/laptop/smartphone or ipod with every book/travel guide or google map you need . Google maps have some of the best features for the travel society – options such as Saved, future travel, have been, bucket list and few others.
- Would you be able to try to stay away from jeans? Travelers save a large amount of space in their bag by choosing a different and lighter alternative. Light cotton trousers would be a much better option. (There are again some world class brands such as Snowgum, kathmandu or thermal underwear from Icebreaker.)
- We all know how important is to pick the right day pack and while buying a day pack as carry on make sure it’s the right size to fit all your belongings such as computer, camera or etc. Stuff can always get stolen no matter where you go or how careful you are, therefore try to be aware and hide all your valuable things in different places. Money in multiple amounts in the hidden pockets, phone away from your camera etc.
- Every single country and place I’ve ever visited was selling soap, shampoo, socks, T-shirts and all other essential items. In case you forgot something or you need to buy anything, it is always there for a reasonable price.
- At the Airport – are there any fragile items in your bag? Simply inform the ground checking staff and put a note on your bag. Also, is your luggage in common color or does it have similar shape with other bags? There is a smart solution, put a tag on it (such as stickers, red ribbon or a small flag) or let it wrapped in plastic in the airport.
Ukraine Climate-Clothing Packing and more travel info at Ukraine