Tomato Battle (La Tomatina) is a fascinating street food fight festival held on the last Wednesday of August each year in the town of Bunol near to Valencia in Spain. Thousands upon thousands of people make their way from all over the world to fight in this ‘World’s Biggest street Food Fight’ where more than one hundred metric tons of over-ripe tomatoes are thrown in the streets.
When do you think of a food fight what first comes to mind? Is it the comical pie in face gag? How about thousands of tomatoes being wielded in the air or right at you? Well, if you’re in the mood of getting down and dirty, how about joining in on a tomato fight?
Much like the Spanish tomato festival, or for those who are better acquainted with the event, ‘La Tomatina’, Perth will also be hosting a tomato standoff. So get in on the fun at the Tomato Battle being held on 5 March and get a chance to share some juicy hugs with friends, or simply make tomato purée out of them and have a jolly ole time!
The Rules of the Battle
- Do not bring bottles or any kind of hard objects as they can cause accidents and hurt other participants.
- Do not rip other people’s T-shirts or dresses
- You must squash the tomatoes before throwing them as this reduces the impact on people
- Ensure you keep a safe distance from trucks
- As soon as you hear the second shot, you must stop throwing tomatoes on people.
- Wear closed old shoes that you do not mind throwing away afterwards. If you wear flip-flops, you may get hurt, or you could lose them easily during the battle
- Wear old clothes, or clothes that you aren’t planning to wear after the battle. They will most likely end up damaged from the battle.
- Bring a waterproof camera!
- You may find goggles useful and safe.
- book secure accommodations.